Android O Developer Preview 3
Developer Preview 3
This public beta release is for early adopters and is available for daily use, development, or compatibility testing. Please be aware of these general notes about the release:
- This public beta release may have various stability, battery, or performance issues on supported devices.
- Some apps may not function as expected on this public beta release. This includes Google’s apps as well as other apps.
- This public beta release is Compatibility Test Suite (CTS) approved on supported devices. Apps that depend on CTS approved builds should work normally on these devices (Android Pay, for example).
- This public beta release is available on these supported devices: Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus Player, Pixel C, Pixel, and Pixel XL.
- Android emulator system images are available for handsets, Android TV, and Android Wear.
Performance and battery
- System and app performance is known to be periodically slow/janky, and devices may become occasionally unresponsive. These problems may become more acute with prolonged use.
- Battery life may be regressed in this early release for screen-on and screen-off use cases.
- Camera may be slow to launch.
- Occasional audio stuttering issues.
- Wi-Fi driver issue can prevent finding available Wi-Fi networks.
- Music audio routed to device speaker instead of USB headset.
- Call audio routed to earpiece instead of Bluetooth when user connects/disconnects wired headset during call.
Backup & restore
- “No backups found” message displayed when new account created through cloud restore flow.
- Docked apps may become invisible in landscape mode on unlocking device.
- Hotseat icons may fluctuate on sliding up docked app.
- PIP window is going to Full screen while launching system settings.
- On Pixel devices, the launcher may render some homescreen UI elements, such as Quick Search Box, offscreen while in very short screen configurations (such as when the device is in split-screen multi-window mode in landscape orientation).
- Developers using FCM/GCM with Android O should update their Google Play services SDK to version ≥ 10.2.1, which is available from the SDK manager in Android Studio.
- Only the x86 emulator is currently supported.
WearableNavigationDrawerViewclass in the Wear UI library cannot be used if your app depends on the Wearable Support Library. If you attempt to use that class along with the Wearable Support Library, class cast exceptions are likely. For additional information about the
WearableNavigationDrawerViewclass, see Action and Navigation Drawers in the Wear UI Library.
- Device may not respond to input on paired bluetooth keyboard.
- Turning off work mode from the Quick Settings panel reboots devices with running work apps.
- Sensitive notifications might redact contents, even after unlock, on devices with a work profile. This affects notifications in the primary user and the work profile.
- Unlocking the work challenge, when opening an app in the profile, might display a blank green panel. Can be worked around by tapping the Homebutton and returning to the app via the Recents screen.
- Dialer app may crash when ending emergency call made from the lock screen.
- Dialer app may crash when phone permission is revoked.
- Messages app may crash when sending MMS after permissions are revoked and re-granted.
- Gmail app may crash when running low on storage space.
This section lists notable changes in features, behavior, and APIs from O DP2 to DP3. For a complete list of all API changes, see the API diff reports:
PictureInPictureArgs class has been renamed to
PictureInPictureParams, and related classes and methods have been updated accordingly.